Technically summer doesn't arrive until June 21st. My youngest won't be done with school until June 23rd.
It already feels like summer. My thoughts are of summer, the air feels like summer, and yes, it even smells like summer.
Today, I thought I'd share with you a list of my favorite things about summer.
• The scent of jasmine everywhere I turn. There is no other scent that says "summer" to me quite as much. (And yes, I have jasmine sprinkled in various spots throughout my yard.) Maybe this is a Southern California thing? I'm not sure – but oh, how I love the smell of jasmine blooming!
• Late nights and late mornings. I'm a night owl by nature. Unfortunately, I have to wake up at six a.m. most mornings to get PR off to school. I love getting a break from such early mornings. I can live to my own bio-rhythms in the summer.
• Listening to my "Summer" playlist on my iPod. Summertime by Bon Jovi, lots of Rebelution (very California-ish music!), Jack Johnson, and a host of other favorite summer tunes.
• A slower pace. Life moves slower during the summer. I like it!
• The beach from 5 p.m. on. It's my favorite time of the day at the beach and there's nothing better in life (for me) than arriving just as everyone else is leaving. It's even better when I'm meeting my friend Nike there with a cooler full of … refreshments.
• Pool-time. I love swimming. I love hanging out at our pool. I even love the constant noise of pool parties.
(And yes I did behead people in the above photo to make them unidentifiable!)
• Getting caught up on my reading. While hanging out at the pool, or beach, or waiting around in aiports or planes, (which I seem to do more often during the summer), I get caught up on all the books I haven't had time to read. I take my Kindle everywhere with me. (By the way – a huge thank you to all my Kindle readers! Wow! I love you guys!)
• Barbecuing. Okay, I know for many of you this is called "cooking out" and for others of you it's called "grilling" but we say we're having a barbecue. We tend to do this year round in Orange County, but in the summer it seems to be an almost nightly occurence. We also tend to eat outdoors on our patio or deck more often.
• The longer days. I love daylight savings time. It's so nice to enjoy all those hours of daylight!
• Night swims. I know I mentioned the pool earlier, but night swims deserve a category all of their own. I love swimming at night with the moon and stars reflecting off the water and the darkness of the mountains looming over me. Absolutely love it!
• Summer fruit. Nectarines, watermelon, peaches, plums, casaba melon … they all taste of summer.
These are just a few of the things which come immediately to mind when I think "summer."
What do you look forward to most this time of year?
© Twenty Four At Heart