Hello, Hello!

I wanted to stop in and let everyone know I’m okay.

Surgery #9 was yesterday morning.

It went fine.

I’m in a bit of a sleepy, drugged-up, haze right now.  Please excuse any errors in my writing.

So far, the incision area in my abdomen is more painful than the one in my arm/shoulder.

I guess that makes sense since the battery/charger was the single largest piece of hardware in my body.

My biggest surgery fear was the thought of another accidental exposure to medication I’m allergic to.

Briefcase had written “Highly Allergic” all over my body with magic markers before the surgery.

(He did this multiple times, in multiple colors, on my arm, my back, and my abdomen!)

Fortunately, everyone involved at the surgery center did a great job of assuring there were no medication mishaps.

Pre-surgery (in my sexy hospital gown, surgical hat, and surgical booties), I was joking around with all the nurses and anesthesiologist(s).

I also hugged Dr. Painless (really hard – might have squashed him a little!), because underneath all my usual joking was a dose of very human fear/anxiety at the thought of yet another surgery.

The last thing I remember was being in the operating room, and someone saying they were about to give me my “Happy Drugs.”

(I had asked earlier if I could please get Happy Drugs.  They make the whole surgery process so much … happier!)

The next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room.

My throat was a little scratchy from the breathing tube, and there was a very nice male nurse by my side asking if I’d like a sip of water.

I might have asked if I could please stay wrapped in the heated blankets he kept bringing me and go back to sleep.

The answer was no.

After awhile, I was moved to a wheelchair.

Before I knew it, I was sleeping the rest of the day away.  I didn’t wake up until nearly 5 p.m.

When I finally opened my eyes, there was one of the most beautiful flower arrangements I’ve ever seen waiting for me from Miss Kay.

(I want to photograph it … but!)

So, what now?

Dr. Painless has informed me I can’t take a shower until Tuesday, January 22nd.


Sheesh!  I hadn’t expected that!

I’ve informed Briefcase we need to immediately hire a hot male nurse to give me thorough sponge baths and wash my hair for me over the next eight days.

Briefcase doesn’t seem nearly as enthused about the idea as I am.

Also …?

I guess I’ll have magic marker all over my body for a lot longer than I expected.

I’m not sure when I’ll be able to begin testing my arm out with my camera.

Dr. Painless said I can try when I “feel ready.”

Then he added something about, “in a few weeks.”

Of course, in my heart, I’m “ready” now.  But, even  * I *  understand I don’t want to rip out stitches trying to do stuff I shouldn’t do yet.

So ….

I’ll take it one day at a time and set baby goals for myself.

The first goal is to mark each day off the calendar until I can take a “real” shower again.

The second goal is to rest as much as I can over the next day or two while Briefcase is in town to help out.

In a few days-ish, I hope I’ll be feeling up to training Miss Kay on some of the non-shooting stuff that needs to happen in the photography world.  She’s going to be such a great help to me.  I feel so fortunate to have her as my assistant.  Having a little forced down time from my camera will actually help me get her trained on administrative/editing/social media stuff faster.

Paul Newman and I will be talking sometime today.  I’m sure he’s eager to know when it will be safe for me to return to PT.

(You know the man has GOT to be missing me already, right?  Ahem …!)

And now?

Well, it’s sort of embarrassing, but I’m going to take another nap.

32 Responses to “Hello, Hello!”

  1. Michelle

    Hope you enjoy your nap(s). 🙂 And praying your recovery time is short, and you can pick up that camera, and move, soon.

  2. Tiziana

    Glad surgery went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

  3. karen

    Great news! Glad it all went well… laughing at your husbands marker identification… good idea!!….

  4. Denise

    Sooo glad everything went well. Now please do what the doctor says…no cheating. You will be clean again very soon:-)

  5. Julie in Michigan

    Oh, so happy to hear from you! You seem in great spirits!

  6. Erica

    Thanks for the update. So happy it went smoothly. 🙂

    I hope Miss Kay is tough enough to keep you in line until the doctors give you the go ahead.

  7. Judi

    Hooray! I was thinking of you yesterday. Glad all went well. Those heated blankets are the best. thing. ever!!!! Let yourself be lazy for a while, it’s good for you.

    • Twenty Four

      I’m really trying to allow myself a little time. I always do too much, too fast … and regret it. I’m giving myself a couple days of pure lazy …

  8. Sandra

    Glad it all went well! Smart move writing allergic all over your body! You’ll be showering before you know it. Enjoy the downtime and get some rest. Let your husband and family take care of you for a change.

    When Shawna (my 9 year old) had her surgery for her broken arm to put in 3 pins at her elbow, the nurses wrote “YES” on her broken arm. The Kaiser doctor said he didn’t allow anything negative in his O.R. so they couldn’t write NO on her good arm. I found that funny and nice in a weird way.

    • Twenty Four

      I think it’s a good idea … things get hectic in the OR and it certainly doesn’t hurt to remind everyone of what needs to happen. I don’t think my doctor objected at all …. he knows there was a BAD nurse error on my previous surgery.

  9. Issa

    I’m glad it went well.

    Have someone go and buy you baby wipes. It’s the best fake shower you can get right now. 😉

  10. Skyler

    I am so happy that this is behind you, that your sense of humor is alive and well, and that you will be able to enjoy that wonderful drug-induced napping for awhile. Don’t push yourself. Relax and recouperate!


Comments are closed.