Briefcase is named Briefcase because he is always carrying a briefcase.
He travels for work frequently.
For him, traveling means grabbing some cash out of my wallet, throwing a suit or two in his always-ready-to-go bag, and leaving.
Today I leave for a photography trip to the desert.
(The desert is very HOT, by the way. It was 90F at my house in OC yesterday. The desert will be 100-ish.)
Yesterday, in preparation for my trip:
• I cleaned forty bazillion lenses. They will be dusty the minute I use them out in the desert.
• I went to a waxing appointment. OK, this had nothing to do with my trip – it was just my normal-already-scheduled waxing appointment.
• I spent time at the mall in an effort to find something I could wear while shooting a polo tournament.
• Yes, you read that correctly. I have to dress for polo, but still be able to shoot photos (possibly laying on the ground) without flashing my sexy body at anyone.
• NOT SO EASY, LET ME TELL YA!
• After many doubts, I settled on purchasing clothes which *might* pass the polo test? I have never been to a polo tournament before. I’m clueless.
• I ran to the drugstore to get more sunscreen because I will be in the very hot (!!) sun for the next several days.
• Pedicure! I will probably wear sandals at some point. I didn’t want the claws on my feet to poke/cut/hurt/slay anyone.
• I went to the bank so I’d have some cash on hand. What if we split restaurant bills and I need cash? The world might end? Are there ATM machines in the desert? (Yes, yes, there are …!)
• I stopped at the bagel store for my son. If all else fails, he knows how to toast a bagel. He won’t starve???
• I took the time to pick up new water filters for our refrigerator so no one dies from unfiltered drinking water while I’m gone. If I didn’t do this, my family would come down with the plague.
• I got the car washed. I wanted the beach sand removed before the desert sand gets in it. There’s a difference.
• I filled the car with gas, because we all know there are no gas stations on the two hour drive to Palm Springs. Or when you get there.
• I mailed my favorite hat to Australia for repairs. This involved going to the post office, waiting in a long line, and discussing international zip codes with a confused postal employee. This needed to be done because going to a hot place made me think about hats. Thinking about hats made me remember my “favorite” hat needs repairs. And blah, blah, blah — Type A Personality — ADD — undiagnosed issues!
• I got groceries so my family doesn’t starve to death in my absence. Because, they might – even with groceries in the house.
• I visited my optometrist because my (prescription) sunglasses kept falling off my face and needed adjusting. Badly. (What if I lost them in the desert? It might happen!)
• I stopped and got fresh strawberries for my son because I love him. And he loves fresh strawberries.
• I cleaned my house. It’s against the law to go out of town and leave behind a dirty house. I’m sure of it.
• Under threat of death from my husband, I worked on my very frustrating taxes. Until midnight. I hate tax time. Also? Why do I work so hard? I’m really beginning to question if it’s worth it. UGH! Life is not fair!
• I didn’t pack. (I am doing that this morning before/as I leave.) The nice thing about NOT flying somewhere? If nothing else, I can just throw stuff in the car and go. Who says it ever has to make it into some sort of suitcase-type of organization?
• Packing is very painful for me. VERY PAINFUL! I’m pretty sure it’s one of the worst things in life. (Taxes are WORSE!)
• I will color calibrate my monitor, backup my laptop, and sync my phone before I go today. (Doesn’t everyone do that??)
• I did *not* have time to swing by Paul Newman’s office. He tells me his/my large, custom ordered, metal print arrived yesterday and that it’s “gorgeous.” I can’t wait to see it!