I’m in much better spirits today because my air conditioner is fixed.
Record breaking heat?
I need to move on to the beach – these California canyons get SO hot!
Blackies Beach in Newport Beach: Click on photo to purchase, or view larger, in 24atHeart gallery.
• Google Reader is dead. This saddens me to no end. I’ve received emails from readers asking for my advice. I’ve already bitched to my friends who work for Google, and it did absolutely no good. I am, of course, powerless. They are powerless. We must all go into mourning. Personally, I’m now using Feedly. (I chose Feedly because it was so, so, EASY.) Here’s a link to a good article on alternatives to Google Reader. The competition is on, and I think we will eventually end up with some “readers” that are even better than the Google Reader so many of us have loved for years. If you haven’t already subscribed to Twenty Four At Heart, I sure hope you do. (I hate when I just jabber on and no one is out there listening.)
• I can’t believe the 4th of July is almost here. Life has been on fast forward except for those few heat wave days with no air conditioner. (Life was in v.e.r.y. slow motion then!)
I have ugly feet.
Cute patriotic toenails.
• Yesterday, I got my semi-annual skin check. I will never stop harping on the need for *everyone* to get skin checks. I don’t care where you live. (Iceland?) I don’t care what color your skin is, and/or whether or not you burn. Everyone should get their skin checked at least once a year – even kids. Yes, I’m a melanoma survivor. Yes, I wear many scars from that battle. My check-up went well. The doc did burn off a few could-possibly-become-pre-cancerous areas, but he didn’t have any areas of big concern. (He’s extra cautious with me due to my family’s genetic predisposition to melanoma.) I wear sunscreen every day, year round – regardless of weather. By the way, makeup with 15 SPF is not good enough to protect your skin from damage. I wish I had known as a child what I know now about the damage sun can do to our bodies.
• Holy cow – I now own a pair of cowboy boots! I *had* to buy them because PR is moving to Texas soon. (This makes sense in my mind!) Now that I have air conditioning again, I’ll be wearing them around the house to break them in. I purposely chose a distressed pair. I wanted them to look well-used, even if I spend most of my life in flip flops. They smell divinely of leather. When I put them on, I want to say “howdy” and “y’all.” (By the way, RC’s girlfriend says y’all a lot and it makes me smile every single time.)
The last time I owned cowboy boots I was 8 years old and they were most likely made of plastic.
I love these so much more!
• Miss Kay has invited me to join her watching the Bull Riding event at the OC Fair in mid-July. I’m SO excited! (Of course, I’m going to wear my cowboy boots!)
• I also have an imaginary plan. In my imaginary plan, I secretly learn to line dance. Then, when I go to visit PR in Texas, I embarrass him by being The Mom In Cowboy Boots Out On The Dance Floor Line Dancing. Oh, I can hardly wait! (Does anyone know where I can learn to line dance in Orange County?)
• Worst mom ever?