It’s difficult to stay healthy this time of year.
Germs are everywhere; stress levels rise.
Holiday season also brings us into even more contact with germ-ridden people than other times of the year.
(Shopping, parties, travel, etc.)
I was reminded of this fact last week, when I picked up a
sore throat from hell “bug” while traveling.
I spent the weekend drinking hot tea mixed with lemon and honey.
I occasionally alternated the tea with a “green” juice concoction made of kale, cucumbers, lemon, pineapple, and broccoli.
My throat hurt too much to eat solid food.
My mom emailed me and recommended drinking vinegar. (Not “any” vinegar, but this vinegar.)
“Vinegar keeps you healthy,” she told me.
My mom is in her eighties and is the healthiest person I’ve ever met.
All of the above, made me start thinking about “home remedies” for various illnesses.
I have pretty healthy lifestyle habits most of the time.
I’m far from perfect, however.
I find when I’m super busy, and/or traveling, everything goes to hell.
I don’t get enough sleep, I don’t hydrate enough, I eat whatever I can find, wherever, and whenever, I get the chance, blah, blah, blah.
In other words, I’m human.
I know there’s no full-proof remedy for staying healthy, but I’m going to concentrate on doing SEVEN very simple things this holiday season:
• Wash my hands over, and over, and over again. I’m pretty OCD about hand washing already, but I’m going to take it up a notch this holiday season.
• Increase the amount of water/tea I drink each day.
• Add lemon to my water and tea. (Extra Vitamin C along with a lot of other healthy stuff. Tastes good too!)
• Increase my intake of dark green, leafy, vegetables. (I’ll be throwing an extra handful into smoothies every day.)
• In a nod to my mom’s never-ending wisdom, I’m trying to drink a vinegar/honey/water concoction every day. (gag! Don’t know if I can do it much longer!)
• Make sleep a bigger priority regardless of how much I *still* have to do each night.
• Say “no” to everything I can possibly say no to until after the holidays. It isn’t that I don’t WANT to help you/help them/do this/do that … it’s just that there’s never enough time to do it ALL.
Now it’s your turn.
What’s ONE simple thing you can concentrate on doing to stay healthier this holiday season?
(I’m asking because I’m nosy, but also because you might have some great ideas I can add to my list!)
Ready, set, go …!!